Sunday, January 18, 2015

[MMc] Solar Golfing - Victory

Solar Golfing
Solar Golfing is now playable, which means that I won the game jam. The tutorial solar system contains multiple planets, moons, asteroids, and the final wormhole. There are multiple paths through the system and the tutorial is designed to implicitly teach the concepts of the game (except: don't shoot your ball into empty space. The ball-retrieval code won't arrive until tomorrow!)

I put in about 20 hours total on the game, including asset creation.

I wish I'd known about Google's Box2D 2.3.1 Javascript port earlier. I used the Emscripten port of Box2D 2.2.1, which presumably starts from a buggier source and is definitely harder to use because of the C++/JS issues in the cross-compiler. I'm not sure whether I'm leaking memory like crazy when I allocate b2Vec2s, for example. I lost a lot of time trying to figure out the API between the original C++ manual, C++ documentation, Emscripten manual, and Javascript examples.

This was my first victory in the Machinis Ludo game jam series. I've always been over-ambitious and overscheduled for these short jams. I think that I now have the right scope and the right tools.

I look forward to polishing the game tomorrow. I'm undecided on whether I should fill out the missing audio and graphics effects or try to take on the procedural solar system generator. I welcome feedback and bug reports in e-mail or the comments on this post.

4 comments:

  1. My vote would be for the procedural content generator. I actually find the lack of sound very evocative of the space setting. Plus, I'd love to be able to play through more systems :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I second the vote for procedural content.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the only golf game that I've ever played and enjoyed! Awesome job! Asteroid hopping was by far my favorite part.

    My only suggestion would be to make the rockets move faster! The pre-wormhole suspense was killing me.

    I also vote for procedural content. #MorePlanetsMoreFun

    ReplyDelete
  4. My best score so far is 21 strokes

    ReplyDelete