Saturday, January 17, 2015

[MM] 3D Snake: Victory

One more hour and 15 minutes of work in, and I have correct interaction with food (the snake grows), and food placement (randomly in the cube, but not in the snake). I made the food green, and put a light inside of it; though for now it is without shadows, and I think the food should be emissive as well. I also switched to a first-person view!
You also properly die if you run into yourself, and there is a score counter based on your length. So it *is* a complete game, and I declare victory.

However, it has a ways to go before being fun. This first-person view is disorienting with the instant 90 degree turns, so I will need to do some camera interpolation. I am also planning on adding the 3rd person minimap Morgan suggested.

Total time spent planning/coding: 3 hours 15 minutes.
Total time spent blogging: 45 minutes.

I am unlikely to be able to devote anymore time to the Game Jam this weekend, but the 4 hours I have used has convinced me this idea is worth pursuing and polishing, if only for the interesting UI challenges the unique movement of 3D Snake brings; and I'll be trying to clean this up for my January 1GAM. I'm excited for next game jam and will make sure to be able to fully commit at least day next time. Good luck to everyone else on this home stretch!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your win!

    And...a win in four hours? That's amazing. I think I've put in sixteen so far and haven't crossed the finish line with a 2D game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo! Drink! (or work, as the case may be :)

    That is a truly impressive amount of stuff accomplished in 4 hours!

    I really look forward to the eventual polished release of this game.

    ReplyDelete