Players: 1 (maybe)
Concept: An RTS where your "empire" is a spaceship that you can fly. Add new rooms, upgrade the hull, trade and battle with other ships.
Related Games: Galaxy Trucker, Minecraft, FTL, The Ur Quan Masters, Age of Empires, tower defense and RTS games
- Use G3D, 3DS Max, Photoshop, SVN, Audacity, CFXR
- Spaceships are made from hex tiles, with math from my codeheart.js example
- Minimize state and assets, e.g.,
- Procedural generation of the galaxy and visual elements
- Dervive all ship data directly from an single image of the ship
- Rely heavily on emergence
- Procedural starfield for tactical and navigation view
- Ships are sprites pre-rendered in 3DS Max from TurboSquid models
- UI is drawn in monochrome and then noised and bloomed, using tech developed on A Thousand Moonlit Seas
- Straight RTS mechanics, except components are found and bought instead of built directly to avoid players having to learn a tech tree and recipies
- No "units"
- Emphasis should be on building and configuring the ship, with flying, combat, trading, etc. forming increasingly tighter reward cycles.
- AI is (as always) a risk. Multiplayer?
Early Asset Tests:
|Spaceship Rendered in 3DS Max|
|Spaceship Hexified on Load|
Screenshots of Old Prototypes:
|Fully 3D Prototype Emphasizing Flying|
|Another 3D Prototype|
|2.5D Minecraft-like Prototype with Intricate Wiring Mechanics|
|2.5D Prototype with UI|
Combat in the 2.5D Prototype