|Working in the McGuire Graphics Lab at|
Williams College for Machinis Ludo 2
|Sponza Atrium with radiosity by|
Mike Mara from Machinis Ludo 3
|Operatives: Hidden Agenda jam game by|
Morgan McGuire for Machinis Ludo 2
We experiment with the format of Machinis Ludo for each jam. Jams are between 12 and 72 hours long. We usually offer a "professional" track with a time limit per day to support those with day jobs and a "hardcore" track where developers are welcome to work around the clock.
Like any constructive retreat or exercise, in a game jam you're only competing with the clock. We say that someone has "won" the jam if they complete a game by the end, and the goal is for everyone to win.
Our rules are:
- Prototypes, libraries, assets may be created before the jam, but all main development must be during the jam period. It is easier to for most of us to participate if the jam is a limited time commitment!
- Post a design a few days before the jam begins (Examples: Bit Pirates, Crossword-Z , Explosion Golf)
- Any game engine is allowed. We encourage use of the G3D Innovation Engine and codeheart.js, which many of us contribute to in order to support exactly this kind of rapid and innovative development.
- Any location. Work in lab if you can make it to Williamstown and like a communal atmosphere with pizza and dance music. Work from home or your office if you need solitude to concentrate.
- Post screenshots regularly to this blog showing your work. If the jam is on a weekend, we recommend also tweeting to #screenshotsaturday
- Have a playable game at the end of the jam to win! Playable and game don't always mean good or fun.
|Explosion Golf by Chris Warren from Machinis Ludo 2|
We plan to run four jams per year. We're interested in cohosting with other schools or companies who would like to offer other physical sites for developers to congregate.
Previous Machinis Ludo events:
Machinis Ludo I: INNOVATE (January 2013)
Machinis Ludo II: March 2013
Machinis Ludo III: July 2013
Machinis Ludo IV: Algorithm Jam (August 2013)
Machinis Ludo V: Cooperative Jam (June 2014)
Machinis Ludo VI: January 2015
Machinis Ludo VII: Virtual Reality Jam (July 2015)
Machinis Ludo VIII: Williams + NVIDIA + Vicarious Visions VR Day (August 2016)